Let’s talk about a popular political pundit on Twitter. He’s a big fan of the NRA, he’s pro-life, and a proud member of #TGDN, the popular hashtag/political club of right-wing extremists. He loves to butt heads with members of #UniteBlue, the folks at the opposite end of the political spectrum. He’s amassed an audience of 10,000 people following him on Twitter. To the members of #TGDN, that makes him a “big deal.”
We’ll call him @Political_David.
Political David is a popular conservative blogger and is considered a thought leader in the twitterspehere. He’s also he’s got a successful business and sits on the board of #TGDN.
One day, a member of Anonymous finds Political David has an unsavory background. He was charged, and eventually convicted, for dealing drugs and possessing child pornography. Immediately, the Board of Directors of #TGDN fires him. The people who exposed him are shunned by the right, and people start attacking their families. Michelle Malkin stands up for him and labels it a conspiracy and a smear job.
That’s exactly what a lot of left-leaning people would expect from #TGDN, the fan club for right-wing nutjobs who take Michelle Malkin’s word as bond. We’d laugh at their kookery. When they cried that his criminal charges were spurred by political persecution, or implied he was a party to a massive conspiracy from arrest to conviction, we’d roll our eyes and call them apologists. We’d give them hell, gladly. We’d point to it as an example of a flaw in their value system. The left would scorn them for shaming and intimidating the whistleblower.
Unfortunately, it’s not @Political_David that has been convicted (he doesn’t exist) and will be sentenced, for the crimes of drug trafficking and possession of child pornography. He pled guilty to the charges you can see at the end of the post.
It’s a guy who calls himself @Political_Bill. Political Bill, aka Bill Talley, who sat on the Board of Directors at UniteBlue. And yes, political leaders in the feminist, progressive twitterverse are both defending him and calling it a smear.
UPDATE: This includes Bill Tally himself, who admonished Matt Osborne and implied that it was a setup, saying “Obviously Matt thinks police are 100% honest and tech savvy. Pathetic.
It appears that Political Bill is only a twitter personality – he’s not a famous political blogger or well-known activist. A look at his LinkedIn.com shows us he’s been a businessman for over 25 years. A google of his name (“Bill Tally” + Tennessee) only turned up his court documents, a few articles on his arrest, and his business profile. Records show he has only been on Twitter since 2008, a good three years after he was initially arrested.
There is no defense of this sort of crime. The evidence has been challenged and found sound, and he has been PLEAD guilty to charges in a court of law.
Possession of cocaine, with intent to distribute, and child pornography should be treated as a serious crime, not dismissed as a political smear.
We want to shun the harsh reality that there are bad people, that do bad things, in our circles on social media. That denies the victims justice. It denies our very humanity to dismiss such vile crimes, especially when this is a “personality” that we only know from his brief time on Twitter.
I don’t want to get into statistics on child pornography – I shouldn’t have to try and convince somebody that this is a terrible thing.
Here’s a few websites that can help you understand why defending its possession is an ENORMOUS PROBLEM and the least progressive thing I’ve seen “progressives” do on Twitter.
- Enough is Enough statistics on child pornography
- FBI: Innocent Images Statistics
- Child Porn: Fundamental Human Rights Blog (great info, no longer updating)
- There’s an entire Flickr group dedicated to hunting images down that have been stolen by pedophiles. (This is an epidemic…)
- There’s a group effort to shut down child porn on FaceBook, often finding out about the images from the victims themselves. (If you want to make a difference, please join this group if you have the stomach for it!)
- And here’s some sick idiot who doesn’t know why child porn is so bad in the first place. I hope that’s not you, too.
That’s all I have to say about this situation. Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Below is an example of progressives being wary of the charges. I’ve even had people say that they need to “see” the images to assert that it is, indeed, child pornography he was caught with. I… just… can’t!
I don’t understand the denial. Here are the charges. He’s due for sentencing soon.
- Windsor man charged in child porn investigation (blogs.windsorstar.com)
- Norfolk pastor arrested for possession of child porn (wtkr.com)
- Two London men charged in separate child porn busts (lfpress.com)
- Demanding a grown-up debate about child porn (macleans.ca)
- Attorney: Norfolk pastor admits having problem with child porn (wvec.com)
- LATINO BLOTTER: Former US Air Force Sergeant Gets 80 Months for Child Porn (hispanicallyspeakingnews.com)
- UMd. Freshman Busted In Sting Faces Child Porn Charges for Second Time (washington.cbslocal.com)
- Merced man held in child porn case (mercedsunstar.com)
- MP turns herself in for child porn offence (thelocal.se)
- Tom Flanagan apology for child porn remarks raises more questions (beaconnews.ca)