Today is Endangered Species Day, a day meant to spread awareness about the thousands of creatures that are in danger of extinction. It’s been 40 years since the Endangered Species Act was passed, now deemed
What can YOU do to spread awareness of endangered species?
- Send an endangered species ecard to somebody you love.
- Read and sign the Endangered Species Legacy Pledge
- Choose a species from the endangered species list, and head over to Quick Meme to spread awareness of the critter of your choosing.
- Head over to Care2 Petitions, sign up, and add your name to dozens of petitions focusing on conservation and endangered species. It only takes a few minutes.
- Visit the US Fish and Wildlife Service to learn about endangered wildlife across the US.
Lend your voice (errr….tweets) to organizations that fight for endangered species and conservation across the globe.
Justcoz.org offers a platform for legitimate nonprofits to have supporters donate their accounts to tweet one supportive message a day. Help environmentally focused nonprofits, sanctuaries, and rescue groups reach new supporters and educate others about their cause. (You will learn something, too!)
Here is a list of organizations that you can support with your Twitter account:
- Endangered Species Coalition
- The Monk Seal Foundation
- The National Wildlife Federation
- The Nature Conservancy
- WDCS adopt a dolphin
- African Conservation Foundation
- The Gaia Foundation
- Orangutan Land Trust
- Orangutan Protection
- Robin Hood Tax
- Save Britain’s Red Squirrel
- Size of Wales
- Earth Action
- Earth Share
- Eden Reforestation Projects
- Center for Snake Conservation
- Wisconsin League of Conservation Voters
- Badger Run Wildlife Rehab
- Friends of the Earth
- Environmental Support Center
- The Association for the Protection of Fur-Bearing Animals
- The Born Free Foundation
- The Dorset Wildlife Trust
- Trees for the Future
- Under My Wing Avian Refuge
- Western Virginia Land Trust
- Climate Action
- Earth Justice
- Eco Watch
- Georgia Conservancy
- Green Fleet
- World Wildlife Fund
- Green Peace
- Grey Haven Sanctuary
- Hoosier Environmental Council
- Indiana Wildlife Federation
- North Wildlife Trust
- Sussex Wildlife Trust
- The Mammal Society
- The Wildlife Trusts
- Woodlands Wildlife Refuge
Join the Earth Activists’ Twitter Campaign:
Earth Activists is an awesome movement that allows you to donate your account to a plethora of earth-friendly causes. Donate a tweet a day to share a daily wildlife photo, advocate for bears or tigers, ask the world to go vegan, and much, much more
Bookmark lolwutpolitics.com as we explore one species a week for the next year in my new column. Here’s a preview of next weeks’ superstar!
Gopher Tortoise, Endangered Species of Florida