In the current political climate, even activists that don’t communicate often online are being targeted by oppositional forces.
It’s much better to be safe than sorry, especially as more and more conservative websites are publishing databases of information on activists in a desperate attempt to silence the left.
The culture wars are raging between the activist groups, and conservatives are taking extreme measures against online activist efforts. For example, there are now “Twitter Bots” set up to smear activists by posting their criminal records (including traffic tickets) and autotweet the names and incomes of public employees who signed petitions to recall Governor Scott Walker.
This seminar covers online security basics as well as services such as TOR.
- So Now We Know Everyone’s #Spying On Us (lolwutpolitics.com)
- Facebook Blocks Log-ins from TOR Putting Thousands of Activist at Risk (arabcrunch.com)
- How to manage the privacy settings in OS X (reviews.cnet.com)
- Turkey: Twitter and Mass Media Become Part of the Story (ionglobaltrends.com)
- Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker digs transvaginal probes for the ladies (deathandtaxesmag.com)