A small victory in the world of GMO’s occurred last night during the “Vote-a-Thon” on Budget amendments. Senator Mark Begich’s (D-Alaska) amendment (#341) was passed by a voice vote, ensuring that if genetically engineered fish are approved that they will be labeled accordingly.
Genetically engineered fish, such as salmon, could soon hit grocery store shelves. Fish would be one of the few GMO foods that will require identification as such.
The Amendment by Senator Mark Begich (D-AK) requires labeling of all genetically engineered fish.
One small step for fish, one giant leap for mankind. 🙂
- New Legislation Would Push Genetically Modified Foods Onto Our Plates (aworldchaos.wordpress.com)
- GMO’s; Genetically Modified Organism (pigpedigree.com)
- GM salmon rejected by Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, Aldi and other food retailers (aworldchaos.wordpress.com)
- Hawaii Senate Missed Opportunity to Pass Critical GMO Labeling Bill (hawaiireporter.com)
- Monsanto Rider Passes in Budget Bill (sustainablebusiness.com)